One of the less-known options in the creative industry, most people might not even have heard of it. But with more and more companies realizing the power of words to breathe life into their brand an image, the field of business writing is booming.
How it works
Business writers have to make sure that the company has a recognizable voice. Business writing involves business communications and marketing communications. This involves writing newsletters, in-house magazines, company-wide memos, official emails and updating intranet sites. Business writers also have to write annual reports, and policy statements. Business writers may also work with other creative agencies to define the company’s language and train people in all the company’s offices to write in that language.
What are the job prospects?
In today’s brand-driven market, companies are starting to pay attention to their brand language. From telecom to management companies, many have in-house positions for writers. Business writers might work in a variety of areas from internal communication and corporate communication to handling social media and writing for the company newsletter.
What to study:
Only a few universities offer straightforward courses in Business Writing. That’s why, business writers usually come from backgrounds such as publishing, branding, public relations and journalism. A degree in Business Communication might also help you get started in this field.
- St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata and Gokhale Memorial Girls’ College, Kolkata: B.A. (Major) in Communicative English.
- Xavier’s Institute of Communication, Mumbai: Certificate Course in Creative Writing includes Business and Technical Writing.
- Symbiosis University, Pune: Postgraduate diploma in Creative Writing and Postgraduate diploma in Technical Writing for Business Management offered by Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning.
- Falmouth University, the U.K.: Masters of Arts (M.A.) in Professional Writing with a module on Business and Editorial Writing.
- Baylor University’s Hankamer School of Business, the U.S.: Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A.) in Business Communication.
- Western Michigan University College of Business, the U.S.: B.B.A. in Business Communication.
Picture Credit : Google