The term comic book often brings to mind colourful images of gallant superheroes swooping in to save the day from the evil schemes of ghostly villians. But comic books can be more than just entertaining, they can offer a lucrative career path.
Comics are no longer limited to books and newspaper columns alone. Thanks to the popularity of graphic novels, manga and films-based on comic books, the industry is expanding and opening up myriad career options.
Who is a comic book artist?
A comic book artist illustrates books by drawing characters and scenes. Some artists also write stories and dialogue.
How it works
- Storyboard artists: Artists with cinematography and editing knowledge are hired by production houses to draw up storyboards for films. A storyboard is illustrations displayed in a sequence for visualising a film.
- Animated films: Professionals with a background in comics industry are roped in by animation studios to work on their projects and films.
- Graphic novels: Many Indian writers have ventured into graphic novels. More and more original characters - especially those based on characters from Indian mythology - are emerging.
- Commercial projects: Illustrating and creating mascots for sports teams. Ad agencies, restaurants and retail chains also hire comic book artists to reach out to customers using humour.
One of the most important skills required in this profession is a vivid imagination. Comic book artists have to actively create new characters and worlds. Drawing skills are also equally essential. Writing for comic books requires additional skills. It requires you to understand the comic language, where pictures speak louder than words. So the writer must be a visual communicator.
What to study
Anyone with drawing skills and an imagination can become a comic book artist. Unlike other professions, a multifaceted background helps in this line. While a formal education is not always necessary for a career in this field, enrolling in an art school usually helps artists strengthen their skills. It can help them leam the basics and acquire a variety of different skills to add to their portfolio. You can major in animation, sequential art or illustration.
Where to study:
- Venkateshwara Open University: Master of Arts (M.A.) in Drawing and Painting
- College of Art, New Delhi: Diploma in Fine Arts
- Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj University, Kanpur: Bachelor of Fine Arts (Drawing and Painting).
- National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad: Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) and Master of Design (M. Des.)
- Camberwell College of Arts, University of Arts, London: Short courses in Introduction to Illustration Online
- Brighton University, the U.K.: Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) (Hons.) Illustration.
Picture Credit : Google