Pharmacy, also known as Pharmacology, is the study of preparing, mixing, dispensing or compounding drugs, pills, tablets, ointments or injections. It is an age-old profession that has been part of all ancient civilisations. Today, this field has grown by leaps and bounds, moving on from traditional roles and providing critical inputs to various fields - clinical services, reviewing medications for safety and efficacy, providing drug information, manufacturing, product development, quality assurance, regulatory affairs, teaching etc.
What are the career prospects?
The field of pharmacy offers a plethora of career opportunities from manufacturing pharmaceutical products and developing the techniques of production to executing quality control of the medicines, Pharmacists are hired by pharmaceutical industries, government departments, colleges and universities, hospitals, investigative agencies and research institutes. They can also find jobs in food and cosmetic industries.
- Proficiency in R and D: The field of pharmacy involves researching on the development and the progress of manufacturing the drugs. You must be aware of the developments and advancements in the field.
- Technical knowledge: You must know how to operate computers and other electronic gadgets used in medicine production
- Logic and analysis: Thinking and good observation skills are important
- Communication skills: Good communication skills are needed to convey safety guidelines and general information about the product to the users.
- Patience Research work requires patience as it can take several years to complete.
Where you can study
- University of Delhi: Bachelors in Pharmacy (B.Pharm). Diploma in Pharmacy (D.Pharma), Master of Science in Pharmacy (M.Sc. Pharmacy)
- University of Madras: M.Sc. (Pharmacy): M.D. (Pharmacology): and M.Sc (Pharmacology)
- Uttarakhand Technical University: B.Pharm; M.Pharm. (Quality Assurance); and M.SC (Pharmacy)
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER),Chandigarh: M.D. (Pharmacology) and M.SC (Pharmacy)
- Kendriya Vishwavidyalaya, Tamil Nadu: M.Sc (Pharmacy) and D.Pharm
- Bouve College of Health Sciences, Northeastern University, the U.S.: Master of Science (M.S.) in Pharmaceutical Sciences and M.S. in Pharmacology
- University of Southern California, the U.S.: M.S. in Pharmaceutical Economics and Policy
- Duquesne University, the U.S.: M.S. in Pharmacy Administration.
Picture Credit : Google